St Mary's Church Carmarthen Eglwys Gatholig Y Santes Fair

The Retreat and it’s Communities

The Retreat and it's Communities

St Mary’s had been built for one secular priest, and was a small six roomed house. A proposal in November 1890 for an addition suitable for eight religious was delayed until 1898, when Ernest Collier a local architect prepared plans. The first stone was laid on the morning of 26th June 1900 – the Feast of St John and Paul.

St. Mary’s c. 1905

The retreat was completed in 1901.

The Community 1939: Fr Seraphin, Fr. Xa- vier, Fr. Hilarian, Fr. Ronan (Rector), Fr. Finian (Vicar) and Fr. Linus.

Three rooms of the original house were left standing from the old house. The retreat now consisted of 20 rooms and a new yard 30 feet long with two coal houses etc. A poultry house and run had also been added. The work would cost nearly £1,000.

The retreat house would not only to accom- modate the four religious but also postulants, the first two postulants arriving in August 1902 to commence the Alumniate. St. Mary’s was to be the Alumniate of the Anglo-Hiberian Province.

In 1905 the Alumniate was once more started at the retreat. An important event in 1910 was the placing of the retreat on the same basis as other houses in the province in the election of a Canonical Rector and in addition a modified Horarium was drawn up.

Bishop Mostyn on Canonical Visitation 1910

The approved Horarium was:
6.00 Prime and Tierce
6.30 Mass, Holy Communion, Meditation 7.15 Breakfast
7.45 Off ices
8.00 Study and Classes
11.30 Examen. and Spiritual Reading 11.45 Solitary Walk
12.15 Sexte and None
12.30 Dinner
1.00 Recreation
1.45 Study
3.00 Vespers and Spiritual Reading
3.30 Solitary Walk
4.00 Study and Classes
6.30 Offices
6.45 Compline and Meditation
7.30 Supper
8.00 Recreation
9.00 Rosary and Retire

The Community 1939: Fr Seraphin, Fr. Xa- vier, Fr. Hilarian, Fr. Ronan (Rector), Fr. Finian (Vicar) and Fr. Linus.

EARLY YEARS

In 1911, there were eleven alumni pursuing their studies in preparation for admission to the Passionist novitiate at the Graan, Enniskillen.

In July 1909 the grounds of the monastery were improved. The pillars and gates were transferred to the end of the avenue. In addition gilt letters were placed over the gateway giving the name of the church.

The retreat has witnessed many changes over the years with the provision of central heating in 1924 and in 1926 the ‘well-being and comfort of the retreat was greatly improved when electric power was brought to the church and house,” at a cost of £55.00.

There were 170 Catholics in the Carmarthen area when the Passionists arrived. As part of its pastoral work, the Passionists paid visits to the Union workhouse, the Infirmary and the local ‘asylum.’ From 1894 until its closure in 1922 the local priests made weekly visits to Carmarthen prison. Generally there were not more than three Catholic prisoners, and for providing a weekly service at 3.00 p.m. on Sundays the Order received £15.00 a year, which one priest referred to as the “wages of sin.”

To the £15.00 was often added a bonus especially when there was a temporary increase such as occurred when the Sinn Fein prisoners were held at Carmarthen.

There were many fluctuations in the size of the faithful over the years reflecting the universality of the church. During First World War for example the congregation was boosted by 300 Catholics in the King’s Own Liverpool Regiment who were quartered in Carmarthen in 1915.

During the same War an influx of Belgian Refugees increased significantly the work of the priests. Scattered over the district, often in isolated areas without access to priest and church there were lapses with a small number going to Protestant churches. The priests at the time felt the Mother Superior at the Convent negligent in her duty by refusing to take them under her care. During the War too, there were very many Catholics among both the British and Belgian wounded who were brought to Carmarthen to recuperate.

In 1936 a long-standing need was satisfied by the erection of a parochial hall adjoining the new school. This proved to be a major benefit for the social life of the parish as well as providing additional classroom accommodation and dining hall for the school children.

The Second World War led to an increase in the apostolic work of the Passionists. For some time a Polish Chaplain came to administer the sacraments, say Mass and preach to his fellow exiles on the third Sunday of every month. The Rector and Fr John Francis were appointed officiating chaplains to the regiments of soldiers that were stationed in Carmarthen and district during the war. There were soldiers scattered about the parish, the biggest concentration being in the town itself (at Ystrad, Johns- town) at Pendine, Laugharne, and at Velindre. By permission of Mgr Nightingale and also of Mr and Mrs Ryle Morris, Bryn Myrddin Mass was generally said on Sunday at their house for a number of evacuee children (about 30) scattered with families in this district.

There was an Italian Prisoner of War camp at Llanddarog and at the request of the commandant Mass was said for the prisoners on Sundays. The Italian POW Chaplain Fr Padoan having been transferred to Abergavenny from Henllan Bridge camp the Retreat undertook to send a priest to say Mass. Mass was also said for German prisoners of war at the Ystrad camp until the arrival of Fr Lambert OSF a German priest.

Carmarthen welcomed a large force of American soldiers to the town in the autumn of 1943. They were accompanied by their own chaplain, Fr Goodenow who acted as Chaplain principally to an American hospital near Abergwili. He helped out by saying Mass in the church on Sundays when most of the community were away on various duties. The parish benefited financially by the generosity of the personnel of the hospital, and some of them both from the Hospital and the camp at Ystrad Johnstown came to the Church on Sundays for Mass and benediction.

The American Hospital, Glangwili Hospital Chapel
Hospital Chapel
Fr. Vincent Gaffey CP

Fr Matthew said Mass at Pendine, St Clears and at Penycoed Camp (USA) (near St Clears) whilst Fr Aloysius said Mass at Llandeilo where the congrega- tion included a small party of American soldiers stationed near Llandeilo.

In January 1945 a Polish garrison replaced the British troops at Ystrad POW (German) Camp. A special Mass was arranged for them in St Mary’s church each Sunday and Holyday at 9.30 am. With the aid of translations, Confessions were heard in Polish on Saturday afternoons.

For those who could not get to Mass on Sundays, through distance or want of transport the Bishop gave permission in 1948 to say Masses in private houses on week days. A new car enabled Fr Fintan to say the house Masses. Llanddarog camp was used for displaced persons with Mass said there every Sunday.

By the early 1960’s two major projects were going ahead, the building of new club rooms and the erection of the youth centre. The work on the clubrooms of the Catholic Men’s Association was inspired by Fr. Marcellus and were a credit to his efforts and to the men of the parish who had given so much of their time and energy in building the club.

Fr. Flavian Morgan CP
The Community 1977

A second building to be opened in January 1966 as the Cardijn Youth Centre laid a firm foundation for the future of the parish. It was here that the Young Christian Workers apostolate was introduced by Fr. Timothy Cullen and was to lead to the setting up of similar sections in Swansea, Newcastle Emlyn, Burry Port, Llanelli and Cardiff.

Both buildings have now gone, but have been replaced by a new parish centre originally containing a small parish hall, a clubroom and billiard room. The centre was officially opened by Bishop Hannigan on the 6th November, 1984. A great deal of voluntary work and the help of contractors, workers and architects who gave their services free of charge enabled the building to be completed at a low cost.

Fr. James Eamer CP

By 1965 the Passionist Provincial wished to withdraw from Carmarthen as the Order faced serious problems owing to shortage of personnel which affected their special apostolate of missions, retreats and allied work. The Bishop encouraged the Passionists to remain. By November 1976 the Provincial again told the Bishop that the Order was no longer able to serve Carmarthen, but a year later it was agreed to second the brethren to the diocese for as long as they wished and the diocesan authority agreed. The three priests and one brother at St. Mary’s wished to continue to serve both St. Mary’s and Llandeilo.

Fr Daniel Donovan CP (Provincial), FR. O’Donnell, Fr. James Eamer CP, and Rt. Rev. James Hannigan, Bishop of Menevia 1986
Fr. O’Donnell inspects work on the house
St. Mary’s 1987
St. Mary’s 1987

The Passionist Order remained until 1986. Fr. Sylvester O’Donnell, who was parish priest of Burry Port was appointed to Carmarthen and arrived on 9th July 1986. Fr. James remained to assist Fr Sylvester until January 2nd 1987. Because of renovations to the house both had to move to the convent. Fr. (now Canon) O’Donnell remained for two years before taking charge of St. Joseph’s Cathedral, Swansea. He was replaced by Fr. Bonaventure Welsford.

Fr. Bonaventure Welsford, DD

Fr. Bonaventure had worked in Zambia, followed by a brief posting to the British Army of the Rhine, then in various parishes in Bristol and Manchester, before coming to Menevia in 1984. Fr. Bonaventure served in Llandrindod Wells before coming to Carmarthen. He was parish priest here from 1988 to 1992 when he moved to Presteigne. He died in 2001.

Fr. Bonaventure was succeeded in 1992 by Fr. (now Canon) Nicholas Jenkins. He had a distinguished career in politics and education before going to the Beda College in Rome to study for the priesthood. Following his ordination in 1989, he served as assistant priest at the Cathedral before moving to Ammanford and then Carmarthen.

Fr. Nicholas served the Carmarthen Mission for eight years before returning to Swansea as parish priest of St. Illtyd’s, Danygraig and then as Dean of St. Joseph’s Cathedral. He retired from active ministry in 2002 on health grounds.

Canon Nicholas Jenkins

At the request of Bishop Mullins a Marist Community came to Carmarthen on 30th April 2000. The community was created to work in Carmarthen and had met regularly from September 1999. The Marist Team comprised Marist Fathers George Skelton, Pius Jones and Paul Sacco, and Marist Sisters Lilly Kelly and Maz Clyne.

In October 2001 Sister Maz was elected Provincial of the English Province of the Marist Sisters and left in November the same year. She was replaced by Sister Carmel Reynolds S.M.

The community was given re- sponsibility for the parish of Pontyberem in November 2001 with At the request of Bishop Mullins a Marist Community came to Carmarthen on 30th April 2000. The community was created to work in Carmarthen and had met regularly from September 1999. The Marist Team comprised Marist Fathers George Skelton, Pius Jones and Paul Sacco, and Marist Sisters Lilly Kelly and Maz Clyne.

Fr. George Skelton, Fr. Pius Jones and Fr. Paul Sacco

Mission Statement:
We are a Marist Team, in response to the request of the Bishop, are in Carmarthen at the service of the Church in order to enable and develop a Missionary Community. To do this we will draw on our Marist Spirituality to proclaim the Good News in Mary’s way, acting as instruments of mercy and compassion to those within the Church and beyond.

The Marist Team brought with it the charism of the Society of Mary, which is to place itself at the service of the people as a presence and support as Mary was in the early Church, and to reach out especially to those on the margins. Their work includes visiting the sick and housebound; Catechetical work; chaplaincies to the West Wales General Hospital and St. David’s Hospital, and at Trinity College; evangelisation through working with Basic Christian Communities; Adult literacy; Ecumenical work including CYTUN; work with the marginalised including abused women; Family Ministry; Parenting programmes; working with travellers; Music Ministry and Prayer and Scripture groups.

Sr. Lilly Kelly and Sr. Maz Clyne
Sr. Carmel Reynolds